Wednesday, October 12, 2005

I remember being young when I first went and bought REM's Murmur. I had saved my money as I always did and headed to the record store as I always did. I begged a friend for a ride. I bought Murmur and X's Los Angeles both on cassette tape. I was years late to both of them but I was just learning myself.

After hearing about this yesterday, I remembered how much I really loved Murmur. It was one of the most influential albums in my life. I carried that cassette, listened to it in stereos and cars. Such a great album. Still haven't heard anything like it. I love that back of the room shout at the beginning of Pilgrimage. I somehow feel that it could never be mistaken for anything other than an American album. Not in the Alabama Toby Keith kind of way. I mean more like crickets green and roads and four boys in Athens. Is that a fair assessment?

When I first saw the cover of Los Angeles with the flaming X I was so transfixed by it. Then I actually listened to it, to Johnny Hit and Run Paulene. God, I know this sounds cliche but it just sounded so raw. The big thing on the radio at the time was Aerosmith and to hear this in comparison was like peeling off the carpet and sitting on a bare concrete floor. That's the only way I can describe it. I still have that same feeling today. Their voices together. John Doe and Exene Cervenka. So good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home