Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Octavia Butler died Sunday. She was 58. How do you say thank you to someone you've never met? To someone who has inspired and amazed you?

There are many great art moments in my life. Images, moving pictures and words. Along with Kathy Acker, Octavia Butler paused me at the right moment in life. I read The Morning and The Evening and The Night and was left speechless. I discovered her late but it was better late than never. My friend Shari before she was my friend once sat me down and said very matter-of-factly, "You can get by. You could easily get by with no effort. Don't do that." That's what it feels like.

(Shari, I'm paraphrasing...)

Thank you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Greatsandini said...

Death seems to be in the air. Some of the greats of the magic world have been passing away of late. These amazing magicians who were trailblazers of astonishment, laughter and, of course, magic. It makes me sad. But there must be a next generation. A new generation to take its place. One that will be different, but no less influential and powerful.

Right?

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 10:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home