Sunday, July 17, 2005

So just a few more thoughts.

I am a radio fanatic. I mean, I love the instruments themselves (and am always on the hunt for a nice antique one and global one) and I love listening to it. Love it. Growing up my dad would always listen to WLS in the mornings to the Don Wade and Roma show. I remember when Bob Lassiter was one. I grew up with it.

Now I am a religious listener of NPR. I talk to Sissy about this a lot. It's always good to have someone to talk to about it. So, nerd that I am, Saturdays, you know the day where all sane people are going to the beach and having fun, are my favorite radio days. I shuffle around the house, clean, cook and paint and listen most of the day. I start with with a show that really annoys the fuck (my new favorite phrase) out of everyone, Car Talk. Yes, I indeed love the Tappit brothers. Then Wait Wait Don't Tell ME. Because it seriously makes me smile and laugh out loud. I dream of having Carl Kasell's voice on our answering machine.

Then, if I truly have the time I listen to This American Life I do. This weekend's show was amazing. You should check it out. I listened to it on the road yesterday. I usually take a break to watch cooking shows on PBS because I love cooking, then if I am lucky after I pick up Irene from work I get to listen to Stories on Stage in the evenings. Which always melts me.

So yes, say what you will. I dread the day when my son finds out that his dad is a nerd. A fact that makes my wife giggle on a daily basis.

So if anyone is eagerly looking for quality time on Saturdays, bring over a deck of cards, I'll cook, my dog will be crazy for ten minutes, the baby will sleep and well, you know the rest.

2 Comments:

Blogger Greatsandini said...

That sounds delightful. I am a fan of the card game in general, and This American Life in particular. Isn't there also an improvised show on Saturdays as well? Regardless, that's my kind of Saturday.

And I promise I won't cheat. Much.

Sunday, July 17, 2005 1:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As an NPR junkie (every radio we own is tuned to 'BEZ) don't worry about the 'nerd' label. I hope that Jeff & Max might absorb some of what they hear, and develop a fondness for the spoken word, enjoy humor that's not a cartoon, and realize that there's stuff happening in the world besides Xbox.
I listened to WLS growing up too... except it was Dick Biondi, Art Roberts and the 40 songs on the Silver Dollar Survey. (That should date me...)

Monday, July 18, 2005 4:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home