Wednesday, January 12, 2005

I was talking with Irene last night and I was explaining to her what I am trying to accomplish by writing poetry, besides of course writing good poetry and I told her I wanted to create space between the words that people could enter. I don't want to state the obvious but at the same time I don't want to create an in-joke or world that only makes sense to me. I think that's a way of being responsible for your work. I don't want to walk them by the hand: here is a tree, here is a river, insert metaphor here. I was reading the short stories of Reinaldo Arenas and to me he writes like that, creating space between the words, trusting the reader. That trust seems so implicit.

I think that way with music too but it's harder for me. I think as a member of a very sensitive device, our audio visual group from recent...at our best moments we made the kind of art that tried to challenge people to see that. I think it's harder to create a live experience than being able to edit it, you know what I mean? I think we failed as much as we succeeded. It was, for me at least, beyond fun. It made sense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home